Between October 11 and October 23, Sydney community radio station 2SER is running its annual subscriber drive. 2SER is home to the science program Diffusion Science Radio to which I regularly contribute, and I also record interviews and podcasts using their studios.
Community radio stations are partially funded by various levels of government, but in the main, they draw their revenue from sponsors and listeners. Subscribing to 2SER is pretty cheap:
$33 - Concession
$66 - Working
$120 - Passionate
$120 - Bands / Artists
$120 - Organisation
$250 - Business
$600 - Lifetime
The theme for this year's drive is Hello Radio, my old friend - so go on, help out a friend in need! Check out the subscriber page to contribute and for more information on the subscriber packs that will be delivered to your door, and the prizes you could win, should you subscribe.
Subscribing to 2SER helps keep independent radio on air - for instance, you will be hard pressed to find quality science radio in Australia outside of the ABC - generally, community radio stations house this type of broadcasting. And as Diffusion is a relatively small operation, we can respond to listener questions in a personal way. Each member of the team is an actual trained and working scientist, as opposed to a journalist, which means that we can bring authority to the topics at hand, as well as having access to Australia's best scientists. The same can be said of 2SER's other talk shows.
To the freebies - if you subscribe, you will receive:
- Spunk Subscriber Pack containing tracks from Bear Hug, Menomena, Holly Throsby, Sufjan Stevens, Wild Nothing, Caitlin Rose, Active Child, Sonny and the Sunsets, The Books, Olof Arnalds, Mountain Man, Joanna Newsom, Gold Panda, Anthony and the Johnsons plus Jeff The Brotherhood;
- Three months subscription to Time Out Sydney:
- Sticker, Fridge Magnet.
- Return flights To Malaysia for two - valued at $1890;
- A $1000 bike pack;
- A 12 month membership to Boxing Works, Surry Hills - valued at $1308;
- 12 months of music - valued at $1440;
- 2 courses at 2SER School Of Radio - valued at $1320;
- A DJ course and music production course with DJ warehouse - valued at $540;
- Oxx Digital and Internet radios - valued at $300;
- 10x Double Passes To Peats Ridge 2010/11 - Valued At $600.